Careers Consultants & Careers Counsellors assist individuals and groups with their career decision-making, and may assist with an individual's self-development and job search.
Why do Careers Consultants & Careers Counsellors require Professional Indemnity Insurance?
Careers Consultants/Counsellors undertake a wide range of duties including:
- Assessing clients' personal characteristics, skills and interests via one-to-one interviews and/or group sessions
- Providing appropriate help, advice and recommendations based on interviews/test results
- Running workshops
- Offering practical assistance with job-seeking, applications/CVs and interviews
- Administering and interpreting psychometric and personality tests
- Helping clients to solve problems and manage their own careers
- Aiding clients in their search for appropriate employment
- Writing action plans, reports and careers literature
- Counseling clients that are suffering from stress or facing Redundancy /Redeployment
- Advising on career change or development by enabling clients to explore options for learning and work, and create action plans to take steps to implement decisions
As a Careers Consultant, you need to be careful. Giving the wrong or misleading advice might lead to an action for damages against you. Having Professional Indemnity Insurance protects you from financial loss as it will provide you with financial assistance in defending claims and any damages payable.
Public Liability Insurance for Careers Consultants & Careers Counsellors
If you or any of your employees visit a customers premises your actions could cause an injury to another person. Similarly, if an accident happens whilst a member of the public comes to your place of business and they are injured you could be held liable. Public Liability Insurance protects you in the event that such accidents occur and a claim is subsequently made against you.
Public liability insurance also covers you if damage is caused to third party property while at the customers business. An example would be if an employee broke a valuable item while making a delivery at a customer's home. The claim to replace the item would be covered by public liability insurance.
Key exposures for Careers Consultants:
- Negligence in Administration and interpretation of psychometric and personality tests.
- Failure to provide adequate advice on interview technique, CV creation and job search methods.
- Failure to create action plans to take steps to implement decisions regarding career change or development.
- Negligence in Assessment of clients' personal characteristics, skills and interests.
- Breach of Confidentiality
- Inadequate or wrongful advice in relation to educational requirements and capabilities required for career
Why purchase your Professional Indemnity Insurance through Express Insurance?
With Express Insurance, you can source a PI quote in seconds, and have the option of adding Public Liability Insurance. You can then proceed to buy the insurance and produce your Certificate of Insurance in minutes, or alternatively save the quote back to your email account for buying later.
And we save your details on Renewal of your insurance, making the process of renewing your PI Insurance even easier and quicker.
Throughout your experience with us our team of highly experienced PI specialists are a phone call away!
Please Note: Coverage under the policy will be subject to the particular circumstances relating to a claim and the full terms and conditions of the policy.
PI premiums are determined by your Turnover and PL Premiums by the number of staff under your employ. All insurers charge a minimum premium in both respects.
We believe we have negotiated highly competitive premiums for both classes of insurance, and will continue to monitor premium levels available in the market to ensure this remains the case.
Premiums vary between states as a result of differing stamp duty rates, however our minimum Total Premiums for Professional Indemnity start from $602 (incl. GST).
From a compliance perspective and for your own protection you should have a minimum level of Professional Indemnity(PI) insurance. In the event that the services you provide for a client lead to a claim against that client they will generally look at claiming against the provider. PI insurance will protect you in the event that this occurs.
We have designed the Insurance application process so it only takes an average of 5 minutes to complete your application. In most cases your application will be instantly approved online, and you can print your Confirmation of Insurance to prove that you have the requisite cover in place... It's that easy!! All other documentation, such as your tax invoice, policy schedule and wording will be emailed directly to you for your records.
If the policy can't be issued immediately because we require further information, we will contact you generally on the same day.
Approximately one month prior to the renewal of your policy you will receive a renewal reminder email with a link that will allow you to review your previous years cover and renew the policy even quicker!
* We have minimized the number of referral situations so that most applications will be automatically accepted. However, if for example you have prior claims we will contact you to facilitate completion of your application personally with the Insurer.
Your Insurance policy is arranged by Express Insurance acting as an agent of Berkley Insurance Australia, a registered business name of Berkley Insurance Company (ABN 53 126 559 706) and part of the W.R.Berkley Corporation.
Berkley Insurance Australia underwrites a significant portfolio of general insurance business in Australia. They are fully authorised and regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulator Authority (APRA) which is the prudential regulator of the Australian financial services industry.
The financial strength rating of Berkley Insurance Australia is "A+ (Strong)" by Standard & Poor's.
For each policy completed online we make a donation to Skin & Cancer Foundation.
About Skin & Cancer Foundation
The Skin & Cancer Foundation Inc is a not-for-profit, DGR registered, organisation which provides specialist treatment, education and research for a wide variety of skin disorders, skin cancers and melanomas.
We will work with you to ensure that claims are handled in a professional manner and that you get a fair outcome from the Insurer. The first step is to lodge your claim as outlined below.